Tuesday, November 13, 2007

OH, IT'S ON...

Made it! This morning on the way out the door, my roommate Eric said he was going to email the link to my “Riding The Bus” blog to his friends so I can serve as a public example for why people should drive cars to work. Rest assured, no cars ran me down on Washington Ave., and no one mugged me.

I walked the first leg of the commute because I didn’t feel like taking two buses. I walked a full half hour between catching the bus and getting off too late, and had a lot of time to think about my public transportation experience becoming too private. Tomorrow, I’ll be less project-defeating and take two buses. On a positive note, I didn’t think I’d make it to the gym today, so I’m pleased to have met my exercise quota as well. Who said I wasn’t a good multi-tasker? If I keep this up, my pants will fit again. Two thumbs up to taking the bus.

Couple notes:

  • Just around the corner from my house, one of the neighbors rode by on his bicycle and called out, “Not driving today?” I proudly called back, “Nope! Not today!” I was skipping along thinking I should have said, “I’m saving the environment!” Then I realized I was smoking a cigarette. Leaving my cigarettes home is a whole other blog (but I may just tackle it yet).
  • There was a sign on the bus that read, “Save Cash on Gas – Only a Buck a Ride.” I may be a sucker for advertising, but I’ve still got coffee money in my pocket.
  • Riders on the bus were almost evenly split between student-aged riders and upper-middle-aged riders. Not many riders in between those ages.
  • While I was waiting to cross four lanes of traffic on the State Campus, another Number Twelve passed me. Tomorrow I have to remember to take the bus going to the Campus, and not the one passing it on the way to Collins Circle. It’ll save me seven minutes of walking.
  • Performance Anxiety. I failed to pull the Stop Request cord and the driver sailed by my building. While I was thinking about a good time to pull it, another passenger pulled it. Otherwise, my morning commute could have turned into me riding the T back and forth in Boston all over again; or riding the elevator at work those times I forget to hit the button.

1 comment:

Tallulah said...

Robyn:

We are all rooting for you! Morever, maybe your experiences on the Bus can lead to some transit improvements!